Saturday, April 27, 2019

UPDATE: I'm on a lads' night out and my friend's just been homophobic. What do I do? | Romesh Ranganathan

It wasn’t an ironic joke. It wasn’t for shock effect. I think he meant it.

The lads’ night out. It feels almost embarrassing to use those words in 2019, but that is what I engaged in last week. When I say lads, I’m pushing the word to the limits of its application. Seven men whose best days are behind them went out in their best clothes, looking like Uber drivers at a work do.

I am still not drinking, and informed everyone at the start of the evening. The response was 10 to 15 minutes of expressions of surprise and disappointment. This hurt for two reasons. First, it showed my friends to be less than fully supportive of my quest for self- improvement and, second, it showed they don’t read my bloody column.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian http://bit.ly/2Vy1shO

No comments:

Post a Comment